Best Electric Toothbrush For Braces: Definitive Guide
Apart from using braces to align and straighten your teeth, you should also try to take good care of them.
Taking good care of your braces is as simple as adapting better brushing techniques which will in turn ensure that the braces are free of stains, cavities and even prevent infection of your gum tissue.
Proper brushing techniques will also serves to regularly remove all traces of plaque and food particles that might have accumulated around the braces.
Do you wear braces?
Do you sometimes find it hard to clean them with the regular toothbrush?
If yes, this is the article for you.
It contains everything you need to know about braces: from getting an insight on why you need a special toothbrush for your braces, to the best toothbrushes for braces in the market today, how to buy the right toothbrush for braces and some brushing tips to ensure that you get the most out of these special toothbrushes.
Before diving into more detail let's just tell you that we've selected Oral-B BLACK 7000 SmartSeries Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush as the best electric toothbrush for people with braces.
That’s some great information you might be dying to hear, right? Of course yes. And without wasting a single second, let’s start discussing all the major parts of this article as highlighted above.
Read on for more information...
Why You Need a Special Kind of Toothbrush For Braces?
This is a good starting point for you. It is the part that will help you learn the services a special toothbrush will give you, unlike the normal toothbrushes you have been using.
- The first thing that should inspire you to you a special toothbrush for braces is that it has amazing inter-dental access.
This means that the brush can access all the parts of your dentals and braces; in between and around your teeth and braces.
This allows the toothbrush to clean all the areas of your mouth, unlike the regular toothbrush which cannot reach some areas of your mouth.
- A brace toothbrush comes with a unique head. The head is angled in such a way that it easily fits around your braces, allowing you to clean them without hurting yourself.
On top of this, the head is changeable, making it easy for you to switch to a new head once the old one wears out.
- The bristles of a brace toothbrush are also unique. Unlike the bristles found in a regular toothbrush which are likely to get caught up in your braces making them to wear out quickly, special toothbrush for braces is made of super bristles that are able to pass through your bristles without getting caught up.
- The toothbrush is small and flexible to ensure that it easily accesses all the four quadrants of your mouth. This gives you the most precise cleaning of your entire moth within the required brushing period.
- Finally, it is important to understand that a special toothbrush for braces is specifically designed for use with people who wear braces.
For example, its bristles are angled in an upward and downwards manner to improve the effectiveness of the toothbrush when using it on your teeth.
Now that you already know the importance of buying a special toothbrush for braces, let’s move on to some of the best products in the market for you.
Best Toothbrush For Braces - Oral-B Black 7000
- Ensures superior clean even with braces
- Easy to use for braces
- Recommended by dentist for people with braces
- Have timers to ensure you brush your braces within the time recommended by the dentist
- Rechargeable. You can use it all times, even when embanking on a journey
- It has the ability to remove ALL traces of plaque from our mouth
- Comes with bonus Oral-B app that gives you regular oral care tips
- The pressure sensors prevents you from damaging your braces
- It is expensive but considering the benefits you’ll be enjoying from the product, its worth it.
- Many people complains about battery life
- Recharging light is very bright
There goes the BEST product for people who wear braces, straight from Oral-B- the most trusted brand by dentists across the globe. This is the most unique product in the market right now.
The toothbrush comes with a Bluetooth connectivity which allows it to communicate with your Smartphone, giving you regular, real-time feedbacks on your brushing habits.
The Oral-B Black 7000 brush head is made in such a way that its bristles surround your braces at angle of 16 degrees, promoting the oscillation of 3D Cleaning Action!
The 3D Cleaning Action, through rotations and pulsations, is able to break up and eliminate up to 100% plaque- something not possible in the regular toothbrush.
The toothbrush comes with a pressure sensor which warns you whenever you exert a lot of pressure on your braces, preventing you from causing damage to them. The toothbrush also comes with 6 cleaning modes, all geared towards helping you achieve the cleaned braces and in the easiest way possible.
Indeed, there is a lot of uniqueness that comes with this brush. All in all, its main goal is to help you realize the cleanest braces while maintaining a good oral health.
Lets look at the features of this toothbrush:
Cross Action Brush Head - This is one of the most superior features of Oral-B Black 700 toothbrush. The round, unique head is created in such a way that it conducts brace-to-brace cleaning, ensuring that no part of your braces left unattended to.
The head features unique crisscross bristles which have been set at angles of 16 degrees so that they are able to reach deep within your teeth. This way, they can easily break up and remove all the traces of plaque forming around your braces as well as teeth.
Six Cleaning Modes - The toothbrush comes with up to 6 cleaning modes namely: Gum Care, Daily Clean, Whitening, Sensitive, Tongue Cleaner and Deep Clean. This allows you to choose the most comfortable cleaning mode for you. In our case, we assume that you wear braces.
Therefore, you can alternate between the Daily Clean, Deep Clean and even the Gum Care to help keep your braces clean at all times. However, note that the whitening mode might not be an ideal mode for you as it may lead to discoloration of the braces.
Bluetooth Connectivity - We have shed a limelight on this feature earlier in our introduction.
But we cannot fail to mention it as one of the magical features that makes the toothbrush unique, effective and a darling among many folks who wear braces. The Bluetooth connectivity allows the brush to communicate with your Smartphone.
The communication makes it possible for you to access real-time feedback on your daily brushing habits. This will gives you a chance to improve on how you clean your braces.
Presence of Pressure Sensors - Did you know that using a lot of force when brushing your braces could lead to their damage?
Well, now you know. Oral-B, the brand behind this toothbrush clearly understands this problem too. As a result, it has mounted a pressure sensor on this toothbrush which serves to warn you whenever you exert a lot of force on your braces.
Runner-up Toothbrush For Braces - Oral-B Pro 5000 SmartSeries
- Ensures superior clean even with braces
- Ability to remove all traces of plaque
- Pressure sensors prevent you from causing harm to the braces
- Oral-B app offers you cleaning tips to improves your overall brushing experience
- FIVE Cleaning Modes
- Gives You Whiter Teeth in only 2 Weeks
- Has Bluetooth connectivity
- Expensive. But as the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Expensive means that you will be enjoying top quality services from the toothbrush.
- Doesn't support 220V voltage
- Bluetooth seems gimmick
Our second best toothbrush that gives you an amazing cleaning experience on your braces is the Oral-B Pro 5000 SmartSeries. Also from the Oral-B, the most popular brand around the planet for its effective oral care products, the toothbrush features Bluetooth connectivity.
This serves the same purpose as the one in the above product- giving you access to real-time feedback on your brushing habits.
Oral-B Pro 5000 SmartSeries is an electric toothbrush which makes it an ideal choice for frequent travelers who wear braces. Even with the Bluetooth feature, the toothbrush’s battery is able to serve you for up to 10 days!
Once the battery power is depleted, you can simply recharge it and continue enjoying the services of the toothbrush.
Above all, the professionally designed toothbrush comes with up to 5 cleaning modes to give you the ultimate cleaning experience of your braces you have been dreaming of.
Key Features of Oral-B 5000 SmartSeries Electric Toothbrush:
Bluetooth Communication - Similar to our first product, this electric toothbrush also comes with Bluetooth connectivity feature. This feature allows the brush to communicate with your Smartphone, giving you regular, real-time feedback on how you brush your braces.
This will go a long way in helping you track your brushing habits and thus customize your brushing experience. In the long run, you’ll be able to achieve the most amazing results.
Apart from allowing you to improve your brace brushing sessions, the Bluetooth feature gives you entertainment when brushing your teeth. Another amazing thing about this feature is that it has the capability of storing up to 20 brushing sessions which will be downloaded whenever you open your Oral-B app.
Pressure Sensors - Yes! Oral-B Pro 5000 SmartSeries too bears pressure sensors which helps prevent damage to the braces. You might sometimes exert excess pressure on your teeth when brushing them, thinking that it will make them cleaner.
This is completely false.
Excessive force may damage your braces and they might require replacement which is very expensive. The pressure sensors have however come to your rescue. They will simply light up to warn you whenever you exert excessive pressure on your braces and teeth as well.
The pressure sensor can also be connected to your Smartphone such that you receive alerts on your Smartphone as well when you use a lot of forces, thanks to the Bluetooth feature.
3D Cleaning Action! - As the name suggests, the cleaning action perfectly and precisely penetrates in between and around your braces, giving you a thorough clean. The cleaning action rotates and pulsates around your teeth, and it’s highly effective against plaque.
In simple words, it is able to break up and eradicate up to 100% plaque present in your mouth.
Timers - The two-minute timer present in this electric toothbrush for braces makes sure that you brush your braces within the 2 minutes recommended by all dental field experts.
At the same time, the timers ensure that you brush all the parts of your teeth within this time limit. This adds to the effectiveness of the toothbrush in giving you a good oral health and the cleanest braces possible.
Cross Action Brush Head - The design of Oral-B Pro 5000 SmartSeries electric toothbrush is professionally inspired. It has been designed in such a way that it is able to conduct brace-to-brace, tooth-to-tooth cleaning.
Its bristles have been aligned in specific angles, 16 degrees to be specific, to enable the brush to reach deep within your braces and remove all food particles and other debris that might have stuck there.
FIVE Cleaning Modes - This electric toothbrush offers you a range of cleaning modes to choose from. These modes are- Whitening, Sensitive, Gum Care, Daily Clean and Deep Clean.
Which mode are you comfortable with?
It’s up to you to decide the mode that comfortably cleans your braces. However, note that that whitening mode for braces is not applicable as your braces might be subjected to discoloration.
2nd Runner-up Toothbrush For Braces - Oral-B PRO 1000
- Presence of pressure sensors to prevent damage to the braces
- The toothbrush has timers to ensure you brush your braces within the required 2 minutes
- It is a cheap product, making it highly affordable to everyone on a tight budget
- Oral-B app gives you regular oral care tips to help you maintain good care f your teeth and braces
- It can break up and remove up to 100% plaque from your braces
- Most customers have complained that the bristles are too soft. However this sit e perfect match for braces.
- Many people complains about battery life
Our third best toothbrush for braces is Oral-B Pro 1000, also an electric toothbrush, powered by Barun. What makes this product appear in our list of the best toothbrushes for braces? There are two main answers to this question…
First, the toothbrush has great features which make it capable of cleaning your braces thoroughly. This is made possible by the clinically proven cleaning properties of the toothbrush compared to the manual toothbrush.
Its unique brush head, which features 3 bristle zones, is able to coil around all the areas of your braces and remove all the traces of plaque, leaving you with the cleanest braces ever. There is no greater feeling that this!
Secondly, if you are on a tight budget, this is the toothbrush for you. If all the earlier products we have reviewed have proved to be a bit expensive for you, then you might consider buying this one as it comes with very low prices. It is simply the budget electric toothbrush for braces.
So, what are the superior features of Oral-B Pro 1000 Electric Toothbrush? Let’s find out the answer to this question next.
The Toothbrush Feature Daily Clean Mode - The daily Clean mode is able to operates excellently with 3D movements, giving you a basic daily clean which is all you need to achieve clean braces.
Pressure Sensor - You might have noted that all the products we have reviewed have a pressure sensor mounted on them. This means that the device is a necessity for any toothbrush intended for braces.
As we have said earlier, the pressure sensor warns you whenever you exert excessive pressure on your braces. This allows you to adjust your brushing force and thus avoid damaging the braces.
Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush - The toothbrush comes with a charging station so that you can easily recharge the battery whenever its power dies away and continue enjoying the awesome services.
This must be some good news to travel enthusiasts who have braces on their teeth. What’s more, the brush’s battery can last for 1 whole week when fully charged!
It Comes With a Pro Timer - Another super feature of the electric toothbrush is the pro timer it comes with. With the help of this timer, you can be able to brush all the four quadrants of your mouth effectively. Also, the timer alerts you when the 2 minute brushing period is over.
So far, we have discovered the three best toothbrushes for braces in the market. You might have noted that all the previous toothbrushes are electric in nature.
Not comfortable using electric toothbrushes on your braces? You have nothing to worry about. We are going to introduce our 4th best toothbrush for braces which is manual in nature.
Eager to know the right manual toothbrush you can sue on your braces?
Good, read below to find out.
Best Manual Toothbrush For Braces - Dr. Collins Perio Toothbrush
- The bristles are super soft and hence gentle on your braces, preventing damage to them
- The brush ensures you get a healthier dental hygiene due to the porous nature of its bristles
- The bristles are durable, allowing you to enjoy the services of this toothbrush for a long time.
- Very cheap
- Very easy to use
- No timers to alert you when the 2 minute brushing time is over
- Lack of pressure sensors to stop you from exerting excessive force on your braces. This has however been compensated with the ultra soft filaments.
Although it’s a manual toothbrush, Dr. Collins Perio is far much more different from the normal manual brushes you have been using to brush your teeth, something that makes them a great product for taking good care of your braces.
The brush has a patented tapering technique that is highly innovative.
The toothbrush bears polyester bristles which are super slim in nature. This enables them to penetrated deep between your braces and removes all the traces of plaque and other debris present.
Another great thing about the Dr. Collins Perio toothbrush bristles is that they are ultra soft which greatly reduces the possibility of abrasions of your braces. The fact that these bristles are ultra soft also means that they are gentle on your teeth, minimizing recession of your gums.
Using this special manual toothbrush on your braces will give you the best brushing experience you never heard. You simply can get enough of the brush’s bristles which are also porous to give a hygienic brushing experience.
On top of all this, the bristles have proved to last for a longer time that the normal nylon bristles you have been using.
Lets learn more about this toothbrush in the features section.
Top Features of Dr. Collins Perio Toothbrush:
Specially Made Bristles - We just can’t stop emphasizing how special the bristles of this brush are. The polyester bristles, with ultra soft and super slim design makes it easy to prevent the abrasion of your teeth enamel as well as damage to the braces.
You won’t like it when your braces get damaged and you have to revisit you dentist to have them replace, right? Stop using the wrong toothbrush and start using this toothbrush created with people who wear braces in mind.
Porous bristles - The overall significance of the porous nature of these is that it promotes your oral hygiene. How is this possible? You might be wondering… simply put, the porous feature minimizes the growth of bacteria in between your braces.
This will in turn protect you from getting various dental disorders that are caused by such bacteria.
Unique Tapered Filaments - The unique tapered filament is another great feature of the Dr. Collins Perio toothbrush. The fact that these filaments penetrate and access all areas of your braces means that they are able to reach out to and destroy all traces of plaque that might be starting to form.
What to Look For Before Buying an Electric Toothbrush for Braces?
- Bristles: the first thing you should pay attention to when buying a toothbrush for you braces, whether electric or manual, is the kind of bristles it bears. In general, an ideal toothbrush for braces should have ultra soft bristles to prevent damage to your precious braces.
- If you are planning on buying an electric toothbrush for braces, then it’s important to look if it comes with a pressure sensor. This is important as it makes sure you don’t subject the braces to a lot of pressure which might actually damage them rendering them useless.
- How does the brush head look like? A special toothbrush for braces should come with a small head that is highly flexible. This ensures that it is able to penetrate all the areas of your braces and precisely clean them.
- If you are a frequent traveler and you wear braces, then this is for you. Whenever you are shopping for toothbrush to use on your braces, make sure that its battery lasts for a long time so that it can sustain you for the time you are going to be on a trip. Also makes sure that the toothbrush is lightweight. This increases its portability properties.
How to Brush Your Teeth Properly With Braces?
If you often get stuck on how to effectively brush your braces at times, here is a brief guide for you.
The guide has been broken into simpler parts to make it easy for you to comprehend.
- Brushing the outer part of the teeth. This refers to the part of the teeth that people see when you smile to them. To brush this part effectively, bite the teeth together and brush them in gentle, circular motions.
Ensure that the toothbrush passes over all the parts of the teeth.When it comes to the brackets, brushing them in a gentler manner, using small circles for about 20-30 seconds.
- Brushing the inner parts of your teeth: with the braces on, the inner part of the teeth is the easiest to brush as it is not crowded with the braces. Simply move your toothbrush up and down, back and forth and finally in circular motions on both the upper and lower parts of your inner teeth.
- Brushing thru crowns: place your toothbrush in a perpendicular position to the spaces between your teeth and brush them in a back and forth manner. Also remember to do some circular motions on the teeth to make it easy to access the heard to reach all the areas of your teeth crowns.
- Other areas of your teeth you need to brush include the gums, cheeks and the tongue. These areas are much simpler to brush they don’t bear braces. All through, remember to spit when necessary.
Brushing Mistakes to Avoid While Brushing With Braces
To ensure that you properly clean your teeth with the braces on, follow the following simple tips:
- Avoid using whitening toothpaste as it may cause discoloration of your teeth when you remove the brackets.
- Ensure you brush all your teeth at all time to avoid the embarrassing appearances displayed by some teeth of the teeth you haven’t been brushing when the time to remove the braces comes.
- Always make sure you brush your teeth after taking foods that are dark in color or have high sugar content.
- Make sure that you do not hurt your gum tissues when brushing the braces. If you notice bleeding from your gums it’s advisable to visit your dentist right away.
- Brush your braces lightly to avoid damaging them.
- Above all, always follow your dentist brushing directions, to ensure that you get the best results with your braces and overall dental health.
That’s the end of our long post about braces.
Hopefully, you have gained a lot of knowledge on the importance if using a special toothbrush for braces, the best electric and manual toothbrushes to use for brushing your braces, what to look for when buying a toothbrush for braces, how to brush your teeth with the braces, and the bonus tips on how to take good care of your braces.
Buy any of the products recommended in this post and you’ll have an easy time maintaining good care of your braces.