Dry mouth, commonly referred to as xerostomia by medics, is a condition that has been freely roaming within us for a long time. It can be caused by different medical and biological conditions.
And the results?
They’re really scary.
From developing a dry throat, lips, tongue, to damaged mouth tissue, difficulties when eating, teeth decay and the worst of them all- bad breath.
If you have been experiencing a dry mouth of late, it’s possible that your salivary glands have reduced the production of saliva into your mouth. Perhaps, time has come for us to curb this beast and prevent it from causing more harm to our oral health.
What action should you take if you have a dry mouth? Would you just visit your medical doctor? Ah! The long and tiring walks to the doctor, the high fee you’ll have to meet to for the medical procedures you’ll be given… I know frequent visits to the doctor aren’t a hobby for most of us.
And I am going to give you a better alternative to ending your dry mouth problem permanently. The alternative involves use of mouthwashes that have been specially manufactured to help take care of your dry mouth.
In the following text, you are going to encounter top quality mouthwashes for treating your dry mouth condition today and see an end to the problems it comes with.
Without further ado, let’s start our list of the best mouthwashes for dry mouth below:
Best Mouthwash for Dry Mouth:
ACT Total Care Dry Soothing Mouthwash
I wonder if your dentist will be able to recommend you to use any other mouthwash to treat your dry mouth if not ACT Total Care Dry Soothing Mouthwash.
All the dentists around the world seem to have noted the superiority of this mouthwash and are happily and confidently directing their patients to use it.
ACT Total Care is unique in its field. It helps avert all the symptoms a dry mouth can produce. It replaces them with an always moist mouth plus strong teeth and gums. All this is attributed t the powerful ingredients used to manufacture it.
The active ingredient is Sodium fluoride (0.02%) which taking great care of your teeth. Other useful ingredients include water, glycerin, Sorbitol, xylitol, among others.
Features of ACT Total Care Mouthwash
- Alcohol free: alcohol, being a drying agent, finds no place in the list of ingredients that make up ACT Total Care mouthwash. This increases the effectiveness of the product.
- It moistens your mouth: your dry mouth will be taken good care of, thanks to ingredients such as glycerin, water and so on, present in this product.
- It soothes your mouth tissues: if you have any irritations resulting from dry mouth, the mouthwash will be of great help to you. It will soothe the irritations and leave your mouth tissues feeling special.
- Contains mint flavor: needless to say, the flavor promotes fresh breath. Remember what dry mouth can do? It can cause halitosis.
ACT Total Care mouthwash is a product of choice! It is what will permanently end your dry mouth problem. Buy this product today and restore your mouth to the moist state again in the easiest way.
Second Best Mouthwash for Dry Mouth:
TheraBreath Fresh Breath Oral Rinse
If you have ever used any of TheraBreath products, then you have some clue what their products can do. They’re always equal to the task and this is not an exception for ours second best mouthwash for dry mouth.
TheraBreath Denists Recommneded Fresh Breath Oral Rinse has been recommended countless times by all dentists across the globe (a product being recommended for over 20 years by medical professionals isn’t a joke!).
Its prowess in eliminating a dry mouth and replacing it with a moist one is just amazing. The mouthwash does not mask your dry mouth. It actually treats the underlying problem or the root cause, ending your struggles forever.
No mouthwash is known to last for a long time that TheraBreath. It will remain active for around 12 hours if you use it (bear in mind that these are clinically tested results). This is just enough time to make it work within your mouth in the right way.
Features of TheraBreath Mouthwash:
- It works instantly: the mouthwash works very fast. Period. Rinse your mouth today with the mouthwash and you’ll experience the instant change.
- Helps end the problem of dry or sticky mouth
- Eradicates bad breath: The manufacturer of this product seems to have a clear picture in mind on what a dry mouth is capable of, like causing bad breath. The product will therefore destroy the sulfur production bacteria responsible for halitosis.
And it just dint stop there- it destroys the morning breath as well as all sorts of food odor.
- Its 100% alcohol free: lack of alcohol traces, assures you of achieving a moist mouth as soon as you start using this product. Additionally, the product contains no artificial additives, color or flavors. It’s also gluten free. All these raise the product’s safety standards.
- Non-acidic formula: its working is based on a buffered, non-acidic formula that is flavored with some mild mint. This formula is made in such a way that it does not produce a burning sensation or a sting in your mouth.
One last word for TheraBreath Dentists Recommended Fresh Breath Oral Rinse- it’s the second best mouthwash in the market for dealing with your dry mouth condition!
Third Best Mouthwash for Dry Mouth:
Biotene Oral Rinse for Dry Mouth
If you’re truly suffering from dry mouth, you just don’t sit there and experience all the pain and discomforts in your mouth.
This is simply because there exists a product that can easily take away your pain and suffering. This product is Biotene mouth rinse which is very easy to find and affordable as well.
It is a great product that will do exactly what you’d expect it to. The product effectively cleans refreshes and soothes your mouth. It moisturizes your irradiations as well.
Its ingredients are also medically tested to ensure they don’t affect your overall body health in any way. They include glycerin, purified water, sorbitle, xylitol, Glycol, Propylene, Poloxamer 407, Sodium Phosphate, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose, Flavor, Sodium Benzoate, among others.
Features of Biotene Oral Rinse:
- Contains LP3 Salivary Enzyme-Protein formula: this works tirelessly to help end the dry mouth era caused by your salivary glands producing less saliva than needed.
- Alcohol Free: alcohol being a dry agent cannot be used to get rid of a dry mouth. That’s why you won’t find any traces of alcohol in this product.
- Xylitol, a natural sugar, sweetens the mouth rinse. Being a natural sugar, xylitol does not promote growth of bacteria in your mouth. It only sweetens the mouthwash, giving you a magical taste when using it.
- Contains moisturizers as well as humectants: all these are geared towards relieving you off the dry mouth and restoring the moist state of your mouth.
- Using Bitotene oral rinse does not subject you to any sting or burning sensation whatsoever.
Bitotene Oral Rinse is simply the great product you’ll get around at a great price!
Fourth Best Mouthwash for Dry Mouth:
Oasis Moisturizing Mouthwash
The makers of sensodyne are at it again! This time, it’s not about their popular toothpaste. It’s about helping you deal with your dry mouth problem by introducing to you Oasis Moisturizing mouthwash for A Dry Mouth.
Whenever you feel that your mouth is so dry, you have every reason to smile for Oasis mouthwash for treating dry mouth is affordable and readily available.
Oasis uses a very unique hydration formula. This is characterized by the tripe action polymer combination that will change the status of your mouth from dry to moist.
It is capable of leaving your mouth hydrated for over 2 hours. The harmful oral bacteria that seek a dry mouth to breed and grow in will be having a hard time in your mouth.
Not only will Oasis hydrate your mouth, but it will also prevent it from drying again! Yu can’t afford to miss this experience- a moist mouth at all times.
Oasis manifests itself more in the features it carries along…
Features of Oasis Mouthwash for Dry Mouth:
- 100% alcohol free: with alcohol absent in this amazing product, its efforts of curbing the dryness in your mouth will never be frustrated. What’s more, you’ll never be subjected to the irritations caused by alcohol.
- It works on a Tri Hydra Technology: this is a unique technology that will get your mouth moisturized for as long as two straight hours. The technology mimics the functioning of lubricating properties of the mucins found in your saliva. This goes a long way in improving your mouth-feel.
- Balanced pH: its pH has been balanced such that it stands at 6 (Neutral). Given that the medics suggest that pH 5.3 is responsible for enamel demineralization, you know your teeth are safe when using this product.
- Mild Mint Flavor: this is responsible for promoting fresh breath.
- The mouthwash is also known for effectively getting rid of bad breath that arises from dry mouth.
What a great mouth rinse for a dry mouth at an affordable price! You need to obtain one piece if you have dry mouth. I guarantee you: it will give you the best experience transforming your mouth from a dry state to a hydrated one.
Why did we choose ACT Total Care over TheraBreath and Biotene as the best Mouthwash for Dry Mouth?
If the above question caught you wondering, we got an answer for you. We are going to explain to you the specific things that made us to conclude that ACT Total Care Dry Soothing Mouthwash is the best in the market.
1. To start with, ACT Total Care Dry Soothing Mouthwash has enjoyed more dentists’ recommendations on this planet than TheraBreath and Biotene combined. If the professional experts highly recommend it like no other mouthwash, there is every reason for it to top our list.
2. Effectiveness. ACT Total Care is the most effective product in eradicating dryness of mouth right now. It is closely followed by TheraBreath which is also shows some very promising results. Biotene can only be ranked as the trod product in terms of effectiveness.
3. Did you know that this product sells at a very high rate? Do your own research on the web and you’ll be surprised with the results. In fact, many people are complaining that the product is hard to find. This is contributed by the high demand for the product across the whole planet.
4. Additional benefits of strengthening your teeth. A product that hydrates your dry mouth and strengthens your teeth at the same time is above average. Apparently, this is what ACT Total Care does.Its active ingredient sodium fluoride means that it is a fluoridated mouth rinse capable of improving your teeth strength.
This is enough evidence to show you that ACT Total Care is a unique mouthwash. It’s the product to use to get rid of dry mouth. TheraBreath, Biotene and Oasis follow closely behind.
How do you create a Mouthwash for Dry Mouth at the Comfort of your Home?
If you are a handy person and a DIY enthusiast who likes experimenting out new things, I have some good news for you. It is possible for you to make a mouthwash that can treat a dry mouth effectively.
I’m going to show you exactly how you can do this.
Come along with me:
What you’ll need:-
- One cup Aloe Vera pure juice/gel/extract
- Half cup distilled water
- Two teaspoons baking soda
10-20 drops peppermint essential oils
NB: Aloe Vera juice is used here because it enhances taste buds (stimulating saliva production) and helps protect the soft mouth tissue from irritations.
1. Add all the aloe Vera gel into a super-clean container
2. Pour the half cup of stilled water into the gel and stir gently
3. Next, add about 10-20 drops of peppermint essential oils and baking soda and again stir the mixture. Ensure all the products mix properly.
There you are! You have just made a great mouthwash for treating your dry mouth straight from your kitchen. The products used are readily available, natural and 100% safe for your body.
For the best results ensure you swish the mouthwash around your mouth on a daily basis. Within one week, you’ll have obtained the desired results!
Does a Mouthwash for Dry Mouth Really Eradicate the Bad Breath Caused by Dry Mouth?
You might be having some doubts in your mind. You might be wondering if all the above mouthwashes will be able to eliminate the bad breath that results from dryness of your mouth.
Guess what? It’s time to clear all your doubts, right here, right now!
Where exactly des the dry mouth bad breath arise from? Let’s start by trying to understand this.
When the salivary gland in your mouth stops producing sufficient saliva into the mouth, it turns dry. A dry mouth offers harmful bacteria responsible for bad breath to breed and grow. As the bacteria continue multiplying, halitosis starts coming from your mouth.
The bacteria in your mouth might also lead to formation of gingivitis. Gingivitis then forms volatile sulfur compounds (abbreviated as VSCs). These compounds are the primary causes for bad breath.
Now, let’s get back to our main question. How exactly will the dry mouth mouth rinse help curb halitosis. Well, when the rinse hydrates your mouth, it makes it impossible for the bacteria to continue growing and multiplying in your mouth.
This reduces their population and even destroys them. Without bacteria in your mouth, bad breath will eventually die away.
Other dental diseases associated with the bacteria such as gingivitis and plaque won’t be able to attack your mouth. This stops the production of VSCs and your bad breath is gone!
It’s that simple!
What are the top Remedies for treating Dry Mouth at Home?
Sometimes it’s right to put the medicine aside and try out some home remedies to cure a certain disease. Dry mouth can as well be treated by some home remedies that have been in use for a long time. The remedies have produced great results and we’re happy to recommend them to you.
Here are the home remedies for dry mouth:
1. Oil Pulling
Oil pulling is a practice that dates back to the ancient Ayurvedic regime. The practice aids in keeping your mouth moist and is therefore helpful in case of a dry mouth. Additional benefits of this practice include improved oral hygiene, eradicating and bad breath.
Do you use any oil in this remedy? No. You should confine yourself to edible vegetable oils such as sesame and coconut oils for the best results.
This is how you should do it:
- Put a tablespoon of your preferred oil in your mouth
- Swish it around your mouth for approximately 15 minutes
- Eventually spit it and remember to rinse your moth suing warm water
- Repeat the process daily for the best results
2. Slippery Elm
Slippery Elm, also a natural product, finds it use in curing mouth since it contains mucilage. For this reason, it produces a powerful slick gel when mixed with some water.
The gel works by coating and soothing your mouth and throat, putting an end to the dry spell you have been going on in your mouth.
- Add 1-2 teaspoons of the slippery elm into a cup containing hot water
- Cover it for about 10 minutes to allow it to steep
- Then add honey and drink it twice every day
3. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds contain flavonoids which stimulate your salivary glands to produce saliva into the mouth. This gets rid of dry mouth. Something more about these seeds: they have an aromatic flavor that helps eliminate bad breath caused by dry mouth.
- Simply munch the seeds several times every day to treat your dry mouth. OR
- Mix equal amounts of fenugreek and fennel seeds
- Dry roast them using a pan
- Grind them completely. Add some salt
- Consume a teaspoon of this mixture after every meal you take.
4. Double your intake of fluids
Lack of enough fluids in your body might affect the amount of saliva produced by your salivary glands. Very small fluid deposits in your body therefore means less saliva and hence a dry mouth.
The best way to conquer a dry mouth at home is increasing your intake of fluids such as drinking water, sucking on some piece of ice, taking smoothies, vegetable juice, and herbal teas.
Eating soft/liquid foods such as soup and stew is also a great way to replenish your body fluids deposits.
While still at it, there are some drinks that highly contribute to dehydration of your body and should be avoided at all costs. These drinks are caffeine beverages, alcoholic drinks, sodas and so on.
Lemon helps relive dry mouth by stimulating the salivary glands. This is attributed to the bitter taste of the fruit. What more, lemon’s acidic nature allows it to cleanse your mouth, eliminating the bad breath caused by dry mouth.
- Simply add half cup of lemon juice to a glass of water
- Add some little amount of honey
- Sip this mixture throughout the day for the most effective results
6. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper closes our list of home remedies due to its great properties when it comes to making your mouth moist again. How exactly it does this? It bolsters your taste buds, making it easy for you to distinguish between sweet, sour, bitter and salty flavors.
Overall, the pepper stimulates production of saliva required to hydrate your mouth.
- Press a little amount of ground cayenne pepper on your wet finger
- Rub it around your tongue
- You’ll experience some burning sensation in your mouth which will eventually stimulate the salivary glands
- Sprinkle some of the pepper powder into your salad, soup or any other type of dish
I hope you enjoyed this post.