Different Types Of Partial Dentures and Their Benefits
Dentures are made to give a solution to the individual’s tooth-loss problems. These are custom-made and can help the individual to feel confident and as comfortable as with natural teeth.
You might feel a lot of uneasiness while going for the new ones. However, the whole dental system has gone far to make you feel comfortable with the false teeth. Now, the discomfort is all about adjusting to the new dentures.
There can be different conditions of teeth in the mouth. Depending on that, the dentures are suggested to you. You might need a replacement for all the teeth in the mouth or you might just need replacement of one tooth. Different problems call for different solutions.
Let’s discuss different types of dentures to know more.
There are two types of dentures.
- Full Dentures
- Partial Dentures
Full dentures are used to replace all the missing teeth in the mouth. However, partial dentures are dentures which are used to replace one tooth or more teeth in the mouth. Partial dentures are quite different than full dentures. As full dentures are made for replacing all the teeth with the false ones.
Partial dentures are also known as removal dentures due to the fact of being taken out without the help of the dentist.
Types of Partial Dentures
Let’s go further and know more about the partial dentures and their types. Partial dentures are further divided into two types.
- Fixed partial dentures
- Removable partial dentures
There are different factors that help in knowing the type of partial dentures made for you.
Fixed Partial Denture
This one is also known as dental implant bridge. This means that the false or the artificial teeth are directly fixed into the jaw along with the dental crown or let’s say that it is fixed permanently into the jaw with the help of dental implants under the gum tissue.
Crown is a type of fixed partial dentures. It is bonded to the tooth with the help of dental cement. Different ways of making the crown include different materials. For example, some use all ceramic crowns or some use metal and ceramic crowns.
In order to give the natural feel, all ceramic crowns are used. However, porcelain and metal crowns give tensile strength and white tooth appearance.
This is an another type of fixed partial denture. In this method, the missing tooth is replaced by joining with the tooth next to it or with the roots or dental implants.
Removable Partial denture
Removable Dental bridge is another term used in the place of removable partial dentures. In this one, the dental bridge takes the place or say fills in the gap between two teeth. It consists of the replacement teeth which is attached to a gum-colored base made up of plastic.
There is a metal framework which helps in keeping them all at their places. Thus, the patient can remove and fix back the false teeth without any professional guidance.
Depending on the teeth missing in the mouth, there can be further classifications. The classification is basically done in classes.
Different classes are:
- Bilateral free-ended partially edentulous come in class 1
- Unilateral free-ended partially edentulous come in class 2
- unilateral bounded partially edentulous come in class 3
- Bilateral bounded anterior partially edentulous come in class 4
The whole classification is done on the basis of the place where the false teeth are to be fixed.
There are good and the bad points for both types of dentures, full dentures, and the partial dentures. Choosing the best type is all up to the status of your teeth. Visiting a dentist can help you go for the best solution and knowing the best type possible for you.
Talking about the partial dentures, let’s go through some of the benefits of partial dentures to help you make the choice.
Benefits Of Partial Dentures
- Partial dentures are quite affordable when compared to the full dentures. You just need to get only the missing teeth replaced, which makes it quite low on cost and affordable.
- Partial dentures reduce the overall risk of different diseases like periodontal diseases, where gum needs treatment.
- There is no wastage of time. You do not need to go to exhausting dentist meet-ups. Partial dentures can be made in one appointment with your dentist. The dentist can examine the overall status of the teeth and can make you test the partial dentures on the same day, unlike full dentures which may take a few weeks or months.
- No surgery is required in partial dentures. Partial dentures can be easily provided without any pain related procedure.
- In dental bridge work, the adjacent teeth play a vital role, which further may harm them as well. However, in the partial denture, there is nothing like that. No adjacent teeth are harmed in any way. Thus, making it sound for the surrounding teeth.
- Partial dentures take less time for the mouth to adjust. It is quite easy to speak and bite with partial dentures as compared to the other type.
- It prevents shifting of the teeth in the mouth.
- Partial dentures also help in easing the stress in the jaw.
Thus, these are the few advantages of the partial dentures. Partial dentures are easy to handle. However, it is crucial to take their proper care. While taking care of dentures, you should always keep few things in mind.
For instance, it is very important that you do not let the dentures dry for a long time. In the case of removable ones, try to keep them moist. Also, while removing, keep them in recommended cleansing solution or simple water.
Another important step to keep the dentures clean is to brush them properly to avoid the plaque formation. It also helps in reducing the food stains.
Thus, these are the few things that should be kept in mind while taking care of the dentures.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/ibreathbad/public_html/wp-content/themes/focusblog/inc/configs/theme-options.php on line 384