Teeth brushing practice seems to be taking a completely different path. Almost all consumers are dumping the regular toothpaste in favor of the SLS free toothpaste. What makes the latter toothpaste too special? What makes it a darling for many?
If you have not been carried by the wave of this toothpaste, you might be living in the stone-age era (just kidding).Sodium lauryl sulfate, commonly referred to as SLS, sodium lauryl sulfate or sodium dodecyl sulfate has been used for a long time been used as one of the top ingredients for making the toothpastes we use. It is actually responsible for the foaming action of the toothpaste.
Recent researches, however, have pointed out that this compound is likely to do more harm than good to your oral health if you continue using it. Some of the effects of the compound are canker sores, mouth ulcers, among othersSaving you from the pending cloud of continued use of SLS toothpastes is our main concern. As such, we decided to enter the market. This time, we had one MAIN aim: to hunt for SLS-free toothpastes for you and your kids.Whoa!
We just saved you the daunting task of doing the selection on your own.After a successful hunt, we were able to compile the list of such toothpastes and today we are happy to introduce them to you.Keep tuned as we introduce you to these products…
Which SLS Free Toothpaste Do You Want?
Click on any of the following links to go straight to the section you are looking for – save you scrolling through the whole article.
Best SLS-free Toothpaste: Verve Ultra SLS-Free Toothpaste with Fluoride
Featured on top of our list is Verve, toothpaste that is 100% free of SLS. The absence of this compound in the toothpaste does not compromise its efficiency in any way. It permanently cures all your canker sores and even takes good care of your oral health leaving you satisfied like never before.
Its active ingredient is sodium fluoride, with a concentration of 0.24%. This means that it is fluoridated SLS-free toothpaste that will promote whitening and strengthening of your teeth.Other ingredients present on the product include purified water, Sorbitol, Cellulose Gum, hydrated silica, flavor, sodium benzanoate, Sodium saccharin, among others.
Features of Verve:
- SLS Free: This toothpaste is completely free from sodium lauryl sulfate and the best one in the market.
- It is fluoridated: this means that it is capable of preventing formation of tooth cavities in your mouth
- Flavored: the mint taste soothes your canker sores and mouth tissues, leaving you with a pleasant feeling after brushing. The flavor also promotes fresh breath
- Contains antioxidants such as vitamin E. These effectively destroys all the toxins in your mouth, keeping it free from all kinds of infections
- Verve is highly effective against stains that might be present in your teeth.
- It is gluten free, which guarantees its safety on your overall body health.
If your mouth has developed canker sores which are causing your endless pains and sleepless nights, you know what to do. Grab Verve, toothpaste designed to cure the sores permanently and say goodbye to the pain and suffering.
Best SLS free toothpaste for kids: Jack N’ Jill Natural Toothpaste, Strawberry
Ensuring that your kid’s oral health is always at its best should be one of your priorities. That’s why we tirelessly searched for the best SLS free toothpaste that your kids could use to meet all their oral hygiene needs.
Needless to say, Jack N’ Jill Natural0 SLS Free toothpaste have no traces of sodium lauryl sulfate. It is safe for your kid and has several flavors to choose from. With no fluoride and no artificial additives or colors, this natural toothpaste is all you need to get the oral health of your kids on the right track.Features of Jack N’ Jill Natural Toothpaste:
- Enriched with xylitol: as we have mentioned to you earlier, the manufacturers of this product has made it completely safe for the health of your child. That’s why they have used xylitol rather than the artificial sugars to ensure that no bacteria will exist in their mouth.
- Contains organic Calendula: another natural product that goes a long way in soothing your kid’s gums
- High safety levels: The product contains no fluoride, color, sugar, SLS or preservatives. It is not heavily dyed as it has been the case with the earlier toothpastes
- Comes in different flavors: most of the kids have really fallen for the blueberry and blackberry flavors. What is your kid’s favorite flavor? I guess you know your child likes and dislikes.
Your kids will surely love this toothpaste. Most parents have come out to confess how their kids (as young as 18 months mind you) have shown some great love for this product! Try it on your kids as well and you’ll never look back.
Apart from the above TWO best SLS free toothpaste for adults and kids, our research also led us to other similar products.
These products are:-
Peppermint Sls-Free Anticavity & Whitening Paste, 4.7 oz toothpaste
Tom’s of Maine is popularly recognized for creating natural products that are fee from SLS. Good news is here. The Peppermint SLS Free toothpaste above is a product straight from this reputable company!
The fact that this product does not contain any traces of SLS means that it will not subject you to the adverse effects caused by the compound such as increased sensitivity of teeth and canker sores.
In this product, the harmful compound has been replaced by glycyrrhizin or licorice root, a natural product for properly cleaning your teeth.
Other top ingredients used to make this product include water, glycerin, calcium carbonate, aloe Vera juice, hydrated silica, acacia gum, peppermint oil, xylitol, etc.
Overall, Tom’s of Maine peppermint SLS-free toothpaste does an amazing job of cleaning and maintaining your oral health like any other top quality paste does.
Features of peppermint SLS Free Toothpaste:
- Flavored– the peppermint oil, one of the ingredients used in the manufacture of this product, is responsible for the great taste the paste leaves in your mouth
- It is fluoridated– it therefore cleans and maintains strong and healthy teeth. Whitening of your teeth is also possible with this product
- Treat canker sores. It also lowers the risk of being infected with the same
- Comprises of xylitol, a natural sugar that relieves you off the dry mouth problem
- Highly economical– the product comes with a great price that is very affordable for all
Trust me, if you are canker sores sufferer and you visit your dentist, you’ll find this toothpaste in the list of the best pastes he recommends you to use. Ending your canker sores and protecting your mouth from being infected with the same has been made easy by this product.
CloSYS SLS and Fluoride Free Toothpaste
For my folks who believe that less is more, here is a godsend opportunity you need to grab with both hands. The toothpaste is not only SLS free but is also fluoride, gluten, Triclosan and sulfates free.
This means it a unique paste compared to similar products.
Leading dental professionals are not shying from recommending this paste to their patients. They are claiming that the product will whiten your teeth, promote healthy gums, give you a long –lasting fresh breath and overall healthy mouth.
The ingredients of this toothpaste are uniquely combined such that they effectively battles the bacteria responsible for plaque in not more than 10 seconds!
Features of CloSYS:
- It permanently destroys germs that are responsible for plaque
- It is 100% free from sls, the foaming agent found in regular toothpastes
- Promotes a fresh breath for long hours. This is attributed t the mint flavor present in the paste as well as its superior cleaning properties
- Whitens your teeth and even removes all sorts of stains that may have developed on your teeth surface it is always gentle on your Enamel and dental work
Are you ready to fight canker sores, SLS related allergies and mouth ulcers? Certainly, you are not. So there is a simple ay out: grab CloSYS today and these infections will avoid you like plague!
Jason Sea Fresh Toothpaste
If you set your mind never to use any sls containing toothpaste, Jason has made it possible for you stick to your decision. They’ve offered you the right SLS free toothpaste you ought to use to avoid mouth ulcers and canker sore infections.
If you are ready to strengthen your teeth freshen your breath in a much simpler way, Jason is again making this possible for you.
Well, Jason Sea Fresh toothpaste is free from harsh abrasives, SLS and other irritating chemicals. It only features the most important ingredients such as Blue Green Algae, spearmint and parsley extracts, and so much more.
Features of Jason Sea Fresh Toothpaste:
- Blue Green Algae is enriched with useful components such as proteins, calcium and oxidants to help strengthen your teeth and gums
- The powerful combinations of spearmint and sparsely extracts works tirelessly to maintain your fresh breath at all times
- Comes with an exclusive blend of polishers and botanicals. The blend comprises of Bamboo powder, Silica and calcium carbonate to help prevent build up of tartar, fight stains, and eventually whiten your teeth.
It does not contain any preservatives, artificial sweeteners, artificial colors, propylene glycol, saccharin and sodium lauryl sulfates.
Sensodyne ProNamel Mint Essence Toothpaste, 4 oz.
Sensodyne products are great! And Sensodyne ProNamel SLS fee toothpaste is great too! It serves as a game changer in the way you and your whole family takes care of your dental hygiene.
Being SLS-free toothpaste, you’ll never be a prey to the harmful effects the compound have been shown to cause to its users.
ProNamel toothpaste does not just come without SLS. It comes with a powerful composition of the best ingredients. These ingredients are potassium nitrate and sodium fluoride as the active ingredients, water, hydrated silica, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Xathan Gm, Sodium Saccharin, Sodium Hydroxide and Titanium Dioxide.
The above ingredients will do no harm to your oral and overall body health.
Sensodyne’s ProNamel offers more that ay regular toothpaste does. It micro hardens your teeth enamel protecting them against the acidic corrosions.
If you suffer from sensitive teeth and gums too, this is the perfect toothpaste to use on your mouth. It will go gently but perfectly clean them, without causing your further pain.
Sensodyne simply utilizes a gentle yet effective formula to clean your mouth and help you maintain the best oral health at all times.
- It is 100% sls free. You’ll never at any one time develop mouth ulcers or canker sores if you stick to this toothpaste-it microhardness your teeth enamel keeping them safe from the corrosion effects of acid
- It has a balanced pH. It bears a neutral pH which minimizes the amount of acid in your mouth during brushing. This further ensures that your enamels are not damaged by excess acid.Less acid in your mouth also offers a harsh environment for bacteria to breed, inhibiting their growth
- It keeps you free from the pain experienced when brushing sensitive teeth.
- It I formulated with low abrasive to help you maintain strong and healthy teeth
- It contains fluoride, as evident from the active ingredients. This serves to protect you from developing tooth cavity
- Promotes teeth whitening
- It contains some mild flavor which promotes fresh and clean breath.
- Sensodyne proNamel has no age limit. Adults as well as children (as old as 12 years) can safely use this toothpaste to brush their teeth.
The right time to start using SLS free toothpaste is now. Please your sensitive teeth and gums by rewarding them with this top quality toothpaste and you’ll be so glad you did it!
Why Do You Need A Toothpaste Free From Sodium Lauryl Sulfate?
Even after offering you a wide list of SLS free toothpastes to choose from, you might still be wondering whether it’s necessary to use these types of toothpastes.
After all, we have said that it cleans your teeth the same way any other toothpaste does.
So, why should you dump your SLS toothpaste for SLS free toothpaste?
Let me show you why it is necessary…
SLS is a compound that acts as a cleaning agent. It, therefore, finds its use in toothpaste for cleaning your teeth surfaces and possibly removing all the stains present.
Despite its good work, however, it has proved to be a harmful product, not only for your oral hygiene but also to your overall body health.
To support this, the Journal of American College of Toxicology has stated that SLS “has a degenerative effect on the cell membranes because of its protein denaturing properties.” The Journal also adds that “high levels of skin penetration may occur at even low use concentration.”
Hot debates have also been going on as to whether the compound should be scrapped away from all the toothpastes.
With that in mind, here are FOUR top reasons why you should avoid using toothpastes containing SLS:
- It causes mouth irritations. Here is a good example to help you understand this. When a cosmetic company wants to test the healing power of a lotion, they have to test it on a skin. This means that they have to irritate the skin first. Apparently, they use SLS for this task.If you have witnessed irritations in your mouth tissue or have developed canker sores, there are high chances that SLS is the culprit.
- It bears corrosion properties. Another good reason why you should stop using toothpastes containing SLS is that the compound is highly corrosive. In fact, the substance corrodes the proteins and fats that make up your skin and muscle.
- It promotes bad breath. If your efforts to stop bad breath from your mouth are always frustrated, then it is possible the main culprit is the SLS in your toothpaste. How exactly does it lead to bad breath?SLS is capable of making your mouth dry, where less saliva is produced into the mouth. As such, your mouth pH becomes imbalanced and a high acidic level settles in.This provides an ideal environment for bacteria to breed and grow in your mouth. Eventually, bad breath becomes the order of the day in your mouth.
- Accidentally swallowing of some toothpaste containing while brushing your teeth is o good either. It leads to stomach upset and even diarrhea.
Why You Need An SLS-free Toothpaste For Your Kids As Well?
Unlike you, your child is more likely to swallow some paste when using the toothpaste containing SLS. This will in turn cause some great health problems that we have discussed above, e.g. stomach upset, diarrhea, corrosions and so on.
If you care about the health of your kids, then you need to provide them with SLS free toothpaste. This way, you’ll be guaranteed of their safety whenever they’re brushing their teeth (even when you are away from them).
While still at it, it’s important to note that most children have shown a tendency to dislike this toothpaste citing the bad taste. It is, therefore, advisable to buy your kid toothpaste that comes with some flavors to make it taste great.
The Jack N’ Jill Natural Toothpaste we recommended to your earlier in this post is a great deal for kids. It comes in different flavors, and all you have to do is pick the one that your kid likes.
Why Do Some Toothpastes Have Sodium Lauryl Sulfate In Their List Of Ingredients?
If this compound is truly bad, why do some companies continue using it to manufacturer their toothpastes?
It does not make sense, right?
Here’s an explanation on why some brands still stick to SLS even after it has been criticized of being harmful to one’s health.
Sls is a strong cleaning agent (or a detergent). It is used in many other products, such as shampoos, toiletries and so on. Its main function is to remove grease and oil. This is because the compound allows oil-based ingredients to mix more easily with water-based ingredients, resulting in an ultimate cleaning process.
SLS, therefore, finds its use in the toothpaste as it enables the water-based and oil-based ingredients used to manufacture your toothpaste to mix well.
The compound is also responsible for the foaming action you see when brushing your teeth. The manufacturers might be using this as a trick. Once you see the foaming action, you will think that something spectacular is happening in your mouth. You’ll believe that the toothpaste is doing a great job cleaning your teeth and removing all the dirt present.
While the compound does its cleaning job as expected, removing all the stains on your teeth surfaces, it exposes your body to the risk of various health issues such as eczema, itchy skin, canker sores, and mouth ulcers.
Prolonged use of SLS containing toothpastes might make you allergic to the substance.
SLS Free Toothpaste vs. SLS Containing Toothpaste
How does the working of SLS containing toothpastes compare to that of SLS free toothpastes compare? Are there any differences that exist on how the two toothpastes work? Read on to find out…
When in use, SLS rich toothpastes will produce a lot of foam. As we have just said, the manufacturer may use this to make you believe that the toothpaste is cleaning your teeth and flushing out all the dirt in the mouth.
On the contrary, SLS free toothpastes are less foamy. Toothpastes that fall in this category are often natural. The SLS compound is replaced by glycyrrhizin or licorice root, a natural product that effectively cleans your teeth.
It is, however, important to note that both SLS rich and SLS free toothpastes conducts a thorough cleaning of your mouth, leaving you with a very clean mouth.
SLs free pastes will, however, be able to maintain some great oral hygiene compared to those contains SLS. This is simply because the latter will promote a pH imbalance, drying of your mouth, bad breath, canker sores, and even mouth ulcers. You can also develop an allergy to the SLS compound.
Overall, SLS free toothpaste will work far much better in helping you achieve the best oral hygiene compared to the one containing SLS.
The ingredients that come with your toothbrush are as important as those in your diet. Taking good care of your oral hygiene, and hence, your overall body heath starts by damping SLS congaing toothpastes for SLS-free ones.
Invest in any of the top products in the above list we recommended to you, and you’ll have some good time taking care of your dental hygiene.