Table of Contents
If you are looking for some guideline to do gum disease treatment at home, then you are in the right place. In this post, we talk about exactly that.Gum disease medically referred to as gingivitis affects the gum line by causing redness, irritation and swelling.
Gingivitis can often be mild hence it often goes unnoticed. But the problem if left untreated can gradually lead to serious oral diseases such as periodontitis and eventually end up with tooth loss. Hence, it is important to treat the problem without delay to prevent dental complications in the future. You can use the best mouthwash for gingivitis to get rid of it. Here’s an article about home remedies for swollen gums, read this and enlighten yourself.
What is Gingivitis and How is It Caused?
The common underlying reason for this problem is poor oral hygiene. Improper brushing, flossing and rinsing do not clean the mouth of bacteria and cause gum disease. It is important to practice good oral hygiene from an early stage in life to ensure good dental health. Gums are the base of our teeth.
The invisible lower portion of tour gum contains a small space called sulcus. Our teeth are positioned on sucus and strongly attached to the gums.Food can often get trapped into this small space in sucus. Following proper oral hygiene helps to clean the trapped food particles.
Absence of proper hygiene increases bacterial growth in sulcus, weakening the gums and causing gum disease. The surface of our teeth constantly develops a thin film of mouth bacteria called as plaque. Regular brushing and good hygiene helps to remove plaque.
But during improper hygiene, plaque gradually hardens and form tartar deposits. When plaque reaches below the level of gum line it gives rise to gum disease.See also: Best Toothbrush For Receding Gums
Effects of Gum Disease (Gingivitis)
It is important to check gingivitis without any delay. Gum disease if left untreated can lead to some serious gum problems causing the teeth to separate from gums. Gums gradually weaken and no longer possess the capability to hold teeth. Ultimately the roots of the tooth weaken; the entire tooth turns unstable and loose.
As the infection progresses, the unstable tooth separates from gum or might call for professional tooth removal.See also: How To Get Rid Of Gingivits Fast At Home?
Symptoms Of Gingivitis
Before you do gum disease treatment at home you need to know the symptoms of it. So, here are some of the symptoms of gingivitis Include:
- Swollen, red or painful gums
- Bleeding gums
- Moving teeth
- Any physical change or pockets around the area of teeth
- Pulled away gums from teeth
- Loose and unstable teeth
- Tooth pain while chewing
- Sensitive teeth
- Bad breath that persists even after following all dental regime
- Pus formation between gums and teeth
- Non fitting of partial dentures
How to Prevent Gum Disease?
The most common cause of gingivitis is poor oral hygiene. Good dental habits, such as brushing at least twice a day, flossing daily, using mouth wash and getting regular dental checkups, can help prevent gingivitis. Dentist recommends brushing teeth at least twice a day for a minimum of 2 minutes. This helps to remove bacteria, leftover food particles and keep the mouth clean. Most of the bacteria are present on the tongue. So you’ve to brush and clean your tongue.Hence, it is important to scrape tongue gently after brushing to scrub away anaerobic bacteria from the mouth.
How To Do Gum Disease Treatment At Home?
Mild gum disease can be tackled at home with natural methods. The problem can also be reversed if treated at an early stage. Here are some of the methods that can treat gum disease.
- The antioxidants in green tea help fight bacteria, increase the body’s immunity can help to protect gums from gingivitis. Sip on green tea to reap its benefits.
- Use green tea as a mouth rinse to flush away mouth germs. To make green tea mouth wash bring a cup of water in a saucepan to boil.
- Add 1 tsp of green tea leaves and a stick of cinnamon. Continue to boil for one more minute and switch offgas. Cover the saucepan with a lid and let it stand for few minutes
- While the liquid is luke warm but not too hot, rinse your mouth with this liquid
Salt Water Rinse
- Mix 1 tsp of salt water in a glass of luke warm water
- Rinse mouth with this liquid after brushing your teeth
- The antimicrobial properties of salt kills mouth germs
Note: Take care not to overdo with salt water rinse as it can weaken teeth.I’ve an article about how to gargle with salt water. If you want, then have a look.
- Mouthwash containing hydrogen peroxide helps to remove mouth germs, clean mouth and reveal whiter teeth
- Care should be taken not to swallow hydrogen peroxide
- It is advised to use hydrogen peroxide in recommended quantities only
- Mix 1 tsp baking soda with water to make a thick paste
- Brush teeth with this paste for few minutes
- Rinse mouth several times with clean water
- Baking soda helps to suck offensive odor and help the mouth get rid of germs
- Oil pulling is known to cure several diseases naturally including gingivitis
- For oil pulling take a large tbsp of mustard oil in mouth before brushing teeth in the morning. Close your lips tightly and swish the oil gently in your for 1 minute
- The oil needs to gently flow and reach every corner of your mouth. Gradually the oil mixes with saliva and turns thinner. Spit out the oil and rinse mouth with clean water several times.
- The process helps to remove harmful bacteria and excess secretions from the mouth. Mustard oil is regarded good for teeth and gums. You can also use any good edible oil for oil pulling. Brush your teeth after the process
Note: Remember to spit out the oil completely after oil pulling and rinse mouth well. Do not eat or drink anything for the next 20-30 minutes after oil pulling.
Organic Turmeric Powder
- Make a thick paste of turmeric powder with little water
- Brush your teeth with this paste to treat gingivitis
- Turmeric contains natural anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties that kill germs, soothes irritated gums and heals any damaged gum tissue
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel from broken aloe leaf directly on gums and leave for 10 minutes
- Rinse mouth with water
- Aloe vera contains anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, soothing and healing properties that prevents bacterial growth, heals and soothes gum and teeth
So, we’ve come to the end of this article. I hope you liked it and benefited from it. Help us spread the word by sharing this post with your friends and family.