One constant fear for many people is how to check your bad breath. Its not a nice fear to have!
People who suffer from chronic bad breath are continually worried about offending the people around them. They feel shy to talk to people. They don’t join parties and any kind of public gathering.
If you are one of them, you know how bad it feels to be a “bad breath” guy. But, if you are not sure whether you have bad breath or not, we are here to help you.
There are a number of ways to check yourself for bad breath before going into a public setting.
- Bad Breath From Throat
- Bad Breath From Nose: Causes and Cures
- Post-Nasal Drip and Bad Breath: Causes And Cures
- Best Toothpaste For Bad Breath
Halimeter – TANITA Slim white bad breath checker
Halimeters can be found in many dentist offices, where they are used by dental professionals to help diagnose patients’ issues with halitosis. The halimeter was introduced in the 1990s, by the Interscan Corporation. The instrument measures the volatile sulfur compounds (VSCs) in the mouth and throat, and to a lesser extent methyl mercaptan, another foul-smelling compound produced by the anaerobic bacteria in the mouth. Halimeters have very sensitive electrochemical sensors which are able to detect these compounds down to the parts-per-billion level.
You can find a ton of bad breath tester on amazon. But finding the best one with an affordable price can be tricky. Our suggestion is to use the TANITA Slim white bad breath checker.
Traditional Testing Methods
In addition to using a precision instrument like a halimeter to measure bad breath, there are a number of simple tests a person can do at home which don’t require any instrumentation to get results. The following are recommended by Dr. Harold Katz; a noted bad breath expert and the dentist who introduced the TheraBreath brand of halitosis products:
- The Cotton Test. The Cotton Test includes wiping the top surface of the tongue with a piece of cotton gauze and then smelling it. If a yellowish stain is noticed on the cotton, it may be a sure sign that you have an elevated level of VSCs in your mouth.
- The Lick Test. To perform the Lick Test, lick the back of your hand. Let the licked spot dry for about 10 seconds and then smell it. If an odor is noticed, you may have a bad breath. Licking your hand deposits sulfur-salts from your tongue, which can be an indication of elevated VSCs in your mouth.This is one of the easiest and working ways of checking your bad breath.
- The Dental Floss Test. For the Dental Floss Test, take a length of dental floss and floss between your back molars. This is done because the back molars are a likely place in your mouth for food residue to get caught. After flossing in this manner, smell the floss. This may be an indication of the level of odors others detect when they are standing near you.
- The Mirror Test. Stand in front of the mirror and stick your tongue out as far as possible. If you notice that the very back of your tongue has a whitish hue, it may be an indication that you have bad breath.
- The Observation Test. Judge the reaction of others when you interact with them. If they step away from you or offer you gum or mints, this may be an indication that you are suffering from halitosis. You can then perform some of the simple tests discussed above to confirm your suspicions.
- The Ask Test. Ask the opinion of someone you can trust, such as a trusted friend, your spouse/significant other, or your children.
- The Diet Test. If certain foods alter your taste, it is a good sign that VSCs are being produced. If you can pinpoint foods that aggravate your halitosis problem, you can try to avoid them when you are going to be in a public setting.
How to Check Your Bad Breath
If you think you might be suffering from chronic halitosis, ask your dentist to measure your breath with a halimeter the next time you have a dental checkup. Once you know you have a tendency for elevated VSCs, you can then perform some of the simple tests outlined by Dr. Katz to test your breath before you go out in public, and take appropriate action to correct the issues.
If we have helped you face the issue of how to check you bad breath then this article has been a success. There are options, do not suffer in silence, ask for help!